A Palé is a concept design with the intention of being displayed for the artist Rosalía concert screens for fans. The kinetic motion displays bold colors, visual textures, and effects that go along with the rhythm of the music.
Music By: Rosalía
CONCEPT & PROCESS
A Palé is a concept design created for an entertainment piece for Rosalía's concert screens. The main idea was to create a kinetic motion that went along with the song but also had the visual effects to create something exciting and fun. The kinetic motion includes a mixture of vibrant colors and unique textures to keep the eye moving and initially keep the viewer entertained every second. Inspired by my Hispanic background, I choose this song as a way to express myself what Spanish music looks like and feels like in my mind.
Along with my process, it is shown in short gifs and still images. I first began by creating mood boards that would have an emphasis on the fast rhythm of the music. I then translated those sounds through texture, effect, and color and express them throughout each mood board. At the end of creating my three variations of mood boards, I decided to fuse mood board number one (far left) with mood board number three (far right).
TRIAL & ERROR
My next process of this was to create images on photoshop and incorporate how I wanted the start, middle, and end frames of the project. I began with the background when I was creating. My main process for this was to see if I could imagine these images to move. I then began to question how would the background and the text move together. From there I started sketching and designing to figure this out. Some challenges I faced was how to blend the type and the background. I questioned if the designs were too much or too less. However, I went with a cleaner and legible approachable look and made it a goal that this artwork would display accelerating visuals with a clean eye-catching approach. I did this by keeping the typeface simple that would include exciting visual effects and the background more chaotic, but having enough energy to go with song.
My next process was figuring out how I wanted the images to move. I did this by imagining the movement and words that from the song and processed that through using pencil movement to express my emotion toward the song. Then I started to search for effects like the CC Lens effect and distortion effects to bring my imagination to life. From there I focused on transitions and making sure every element that was included in the image was used properly and was in sync with the rhythm of the beat. I did this by making key marks on the audio on every beat and major beat I could find and made sure the keyframes where alined with it.
Lastly, I included the lyrics of the song with a simple type with no color effects. I created each word to have different forms, effects, and transitions into the main screen to keep the eye move. Some issues that occurred were figuring out what effect were acceptable to use that would blend well with the effect of the background. I solved this issue by using the same effect that was used in the background but added more custom transitions and different ways to distort the type, making them all type look similar but move differently.